Firearms Safety Rules and Code of Ethics
THIS ABOVE ALL ELSE
Any firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no
conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and
character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions
taken with it.
- Corollary: Socially and morally legitimate uses for the firearm are:
- Sport: (Hunting...)
- Recreation: (Competitive, and target shooting, plinking...)
- Defensive purposes: (Self defense, and pursuant to the concepts
embodied in the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United
- The right to self defense is one of the inalienable God-given rights,
while the Second Amendment is a right granted by the Constitution to
preserve freedom. Both are individual rights as well as
responsibilities which can never be delegated.
- If the firearm is chosen for defense, it should never be the sole
source of any defensive strategy. It should represent the last resort in
a comprehensive defensive plan that at least uses prevention as its first
- A firearm is never to be used to perpetrate unprovoked aggression.
- Therefore; from the moment I chose to handle a firearm, it is
I who am ultimately responsible for the consequences of any
actions that may follow from the use of the firearm.
- Therefore; it is my intent that determines its use.
- Therefore; it is my character that determines the intent for
which the firearm is used.
- Therefore; it is my competence that determines the accuracy of
the firearm's use.
RULE #1: I will treat all firearms as if they are always loaded and
ready to fire, until I verify otherwise.
RULE #2: I will never point the muzzle of a firearm at anything I am
not willing to destroy.
RULE #3: I will be sure of my target and what is behind it before
firing. Never shoot at a sound, a shadow, or anything that has not
been positively identified as a proper target.
RULE #4: I will keep my finger off the trigger until the sights are on
the target. It is best to keep your finger completely outside the
trigger guard until the sights are on the target.